New parents know the excitement when their little angel begins to scoot around. Soon though, this feeling transforms into apprehension and worry for the safety of their turbo explorer. Usually, around the 9-month mark, babies begin their first foray into curious crawling, which eventually requires the house to be baby-proofed.
A big concern for parents is their baby accidentally tripping down the stairs. This can be easily remedied using baby gates for the top and bottom of stairs. Before deciding to choose the ideal baby gates, let’s go through a shortlist of points that identify the perfect gateway for your home.
Also Read: Best Co-Sleeper & Bassinets For Newborns
- Measurement – Before going off to the store, make sure to measure your doorways and stairwells. Ideally, the height of the baby gate should be over 22 inches, so your tiny tot doesn’t sneak over it. Also, make sure that the design of the gate doesn’t have any openings larger than your baby’s foot to prevent them from attempting to climb it.
- Material –Always choose a material that has a naturally smooth and non-toxic metal, preferably wood or plastic, to prevent your baby from getting hurt by sharp edges or corners.
- Lock –A baby gate without a childproof lock is not of much use, so always ensure that the lock is secure to open/close for the parent while impossible for your tiny tot to unlock.
Thanks to innovative designing technology, today you can find different types and styles of baby gates, such as:
- Pressure mounted gates – These are similar to tension rods and do not require to fit with screws in the walls and are extremely portable for use at other houses you might visit.
- Hardware mounted gates –These are conventional types of baby gates that require to be screwed into the wall and are ideal for the gates at the top of stairs.
- Step Over Style –These do not open like conventional gates and parents need to step over them.
- Swing Through Style –These are conventionally-styled gates that swing out to open.
- Hybrid Style –These are designed to swing open or step over to go through.
As usual, to make it easy for parents to take care of their little bundle of joy and to ensure their safety and comfort, we tested and reviewed the ideal baby gates that can be installed at the top and bottom of stairs at your home.
Best Baby Gates for Top of Stairs
Here’s our list of the three best baby gates for top of stairs:
Fairy Baby Safety Metal Walk-Thru Gate
Fairy Baby is renowned for making affordable yet high-quality items for newborns and infants. The Fairy Baby Safety Metal Walk-Thru Gate ranks at the top, thanks to its unique safety and convenience. It is a pressure-mounted baby gate that is specially designed for use on the top of stairways and can be easily installed in other doorways and hallways also.
It is easy to extend and can fit spaces between 25.6 inches to 27.9 inches. Being the pressure-mounted type of installation, the gate offers easy portability as well.
- Easy to install and disassemble
- Easy to use yet baby-proof locking mechanism
- The door opens in and out
- Weighs significantly heavy
- Constricted range of extension
- Needs to be closed manually
Evenflo Top of Stair Plus Gate
Evenflo is yet another renowned baby item manufacturer and has produced a few very popular baby gates for stairs. One of the best features of this baby gate are its removable swing control, as well as the 4-point hardware installation style that makes it extremely easy to install and provides immense portability.
It can be easily expanded to a significant width, from 30 inches to 48 inches without compromising on its sturdiness or safety. It is incredibly lightweight as well and thus easy to switch from one place to another.
- Easy installation and removal for portability
- Expands significantly to fit multiple places
- One-hand operation
- Opens in and out with ease
- Recommended only for babies between 6 and 12 months
- Installation may be slightly complicated
Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Safety Gate
The Cardinal Gates Stairway Special Safety Gate is an extremely versatile and impressively safe baby gate for top of the stairs. It is quite easy to install and is one of the sturdiest baby gates available in the market.
It is also easy to extend and can fit spaces ranging between 27 inches to 42.5 inches, with an additional 10 inches extension piece too. This versatile baby gate can be easily remodeled to fit hallways and doorways as well.
- Strong and durable design
- One-hand latch mechanism
- Extends to an impressive 42.5 inches
- The hardware-mounted fitting might be challenging to install for some
- Not weather-proof so can only be used indoors
- Requires extensive assembly before fitting
Best Baby Gates for Bottom of Stairs
Here is our selection of the three best baby gates for bottom of stairs:
Toddleroo the North States Easy-Close Baby Gate
The Toddleroo North Sates Easy Close Baby Gate ranks as the top of the best baby gates for the bottom of stairs owing to its ease of use. It’s immensely safe latching mechanism can be opened with a single hand, yet it is incredibly childproof.
There are extensions provided with the gate that can add extra width to cover a total space 38.4 inches wide. The pressure-mounted variety makes it easy to install and disassemble, while the lightweight design makes it efficient for portability.
- Wide area covered
- Gate opens in and out also
- Single-hand locking/unlocking mechanism
- Narrower walk-through gate design
Dreambaby Chelsea Auto-Close Security Gate (White)
The Dreambaby Chelsea Auto-Close Security Gate for the bottom of stairs is exceptionally versatile as it can be installed with hardware-mount and pressure-mount techniques. In addition to the regular features, the baby gate also has one-hand locking and unlocking functions.
One of the best features of this baby gate is the massive width it can cover – a maximum of 111 inches and offers automatic closing too.
- Gate opens in and out
- One-hand locking/unlocking mechanism
- Easy to use hardware-mount baby gate
- The shape of railing needs to be considered for installing this baby gate
Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate and Play Yard
The Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate is another excellent choice for a baby gate to be installed at the bottom of the stairs. It covers and restricts a large area as full as 192 inches from anchor to anchor.
It features a walk-through swing gate with a one-hand safety locking/unlocking mechanism. It also comes equipped with removable panels, which make it easier to store. Also, you can easily convert the baby gate into an expansive, gated play-yard for the baby.
- Durable design and stable construction
- Wide area covered
- Removable panels for secure storage
- One-hand locking/unlocking mechanism
- Quite expensive
Also Read: Best Toddler Car Seats for 2 Year Olds
Before choosing any of the above-listed baby gates for stairs, always make sure to measure the width of the top and bottom of the stairways in your home to ensure that you always buy the best-fitting ones. Choose a baby gate with a one-hand locking mechanism, so that you do not have to hassle yourself while moving through the gate while carrying the baby with you.
The Fairy Baby Safety Metal Walk-Thru Gate is highly recommended for top of the stairs while the bottom of the stairs can be easily secured with Toddleroo North States Easy-Close Baby Gate.